Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Day Six : Cape Cod

I’m wore out tonight :)  We’ll see how far I make it on this blog post!  But I can always finish tomorrow and change the date, pretty cool little trick, eh?? 
[although for the record I did finish tonight.  Technically past midnight though, so I did back it up a little bit so that it would show as Wednesday and not Thursday.  But otherwise, I’m good].

We woke up this morning in Warwick RI in our Holiday Inn Express.  We met Betty for another continental breakfast.  The kids pigged out this morning!  Well, they do most morning, we love breakfast in this household.  Pancakes, bagels, bananas, yogurts, all sorts of tempting goodies.  We enjoyed spending some more time visiting with Betty before we had to split ways.  She has an early flight tomorrow morning, so there’s things to do at home to get ready for that, and we had an exciting day on the Cape awaiting us. 
We drove to the bottom right of the Cape Cod boot – Chatham.  It was about two hours from our hotel, but it was actually really nice.  We haven’t had much driving to do for the last couple of days, so it was good for the kids to be still and have to relax.  We headed for Lighthouse Beach in Chatham.  I had heard it was a great public beach with a lighthouse and seal sightings, perfect!  Chatham is a crazy town though!  Very busy and almost no public parking.  The lot by the public beach is a 30minute only lot, for real?!  So we parked and walked for a few minutes.  It was an indeed a gorgeous beach.  Flat and sandy, more like then NC Outer Banks then I was expecting.  There were sandbars and small tidal pools and just amazing views.  The water was icy cold and the sand was a little hot [Ryan asked me to be sure I mentioned that the sand was hot.  I didn’t think it was hot, but what do I know].  We were sad to leave after 30minutes, but still optimistic that we would find other parking and return.  That never happened!  We drove and drove and drove and finally googled picnic areas in Chatham as it was after 1:00.  After some very private and residential roads, and even a dead end into someone’s driveway, the maps app finally got us to Chase Park :)  We parked and unloaded our picnic box and supplies at a table.  I pulled out the loaf of bread, that hadn’t even expired yet, and it was covered in mold.  I guess it got too hot.  And then it started to rain.  Chatham was not off to a good start; I was almost to the point of just having to laugh about it.  We sat in the car and ate raisins, and hotel breakfast bar apples, and granola bars, and other junk food while waiting out the rain.  Fortunately it didn’t rain hard or long, and the day took a happy turn after that.  Behind us on the other side of this tiny park in the middle of nowhere, there was a windmill.  We walked up to, because, hey why not?  Come to find out it’s a grist mill that began operation in 1797.  Now it’s a historic site that happened to be open to the public today.  It was really interesting and I’m glad we stumbled upon it.  There were some very knowledgeable gentlemen offering facts and information about it, and we were able to walk inside and then up the stairs to the second level.  We had quite a lot of fun learning about the wind and how the corn went in and how everything turned to grind it into cornmeal.  The people who built this thing over 200 years ago were super smart!  Behind the gristmill was a labyrinth.  The kids loved it.  It’s a stone path that winds and weaves all around itself so you walk a really long way in a really small space.  Like a maze almost, but only one way to go.  The kids were completely enthralled with it, and we were able to sit on a bench and just watch them walk it over and over.  Well, Ryan at least.  He of course followed the path; the girls just kinda ran.  I think we need a labyrinth in our backyard.

So I had thought I was going into today with relatively low expectations.  I just wanted to see the seals, anything after that would be bonus.  Fortunately my awesome hubby came to the rescue, as he usually does!  He found a fishing pier.  And not only that, he found a public parking spot!  It was an awesome, stinky, cool, gross, everything all at once type of experience.  Just like Deadliest Catch, only not really.  There were fishing boats everywhere, and we saw them dumping the dead, nasty, bloody fish off the boats into huge buckets and baskets.  Of all the things we did today, Abby said watching them unload the dead fish was her favorite!??  And do you know what dead fish bring??  Seals!!  And seagulls too.  Lots and lots of seagulls.  But I got to see my seals.  They weren’t basking on rocks on a beautiful beach like I had pictured, but they were still seals and there were dozens of them in the water right along the docks and circling the boats.  They were so cute!  I loved when they got playful and would swim on their backs or in spirals.  Thanks Dear for saving the day and finding some seals!! 
We left Chatham about 3:00, and we had a couple extra hours [we had researched lots of ideas, but no set plans until 6:00].  We decided to check out the Cape Cod Canal.  We had passed it on the way out to Chatham, and it looked pretty fun.  So we headed back and hopped on the bike path/ service road that follows the canal.  Think the greenway but with amazing New England views.  I’m pretty sure I read somewhere that it’s seven miles one way, so fourteen out and back.  And there’s one on each side of the canal.  Ryan asked if he could ride bikes on it with Grandpa someday!  No bikes today, but we do have scooters in the trunk, so off we went.  We watched boats and birds and even a train.  We walked to where the path goes under the highway bridge – one of those huge bridges you see up here in the North, the kind we don’t have in Georgia.  It was fun to look straight up under the bridge, and it was good to give the kids a goal.  They had their moments on the path, and Chloe ended up riding on my back the second half of the trip.  But we made it about two miles.  Coleson and I enjoyed it, and I’m pretty sure they did too in their own ways :)

From there we crossed the canal on the Bourne Bridge – we crossed on this bridge three times today.  It’s a great bridge and there’s a cool train bridge just down the river that you can see.  Another fun thing that kept coming up in my things-to-do-in-New-England searches was the Cape Cod baseball league, so we took in the Bourne Braves game tonight.  It’s a small, amateur league, mostly college kids that play in the summer.  It’s super casual and laid back.  The games are free, although we did make a small donation.  And even the concessions are affordable.  We ate dinner for $22!  And it was good food, they literally took the burgers off the grill and put them in buns for us as we ordered them.  You don’t get that at Turner Field!  The game started as a pitching matchup, scoreless for four or five innings.  When we left in the 8th, Bourne was up 5-4 though.  There were no UGA kids on either team, but there were several GT guys.  And in the starting lineups, we heard three Ryans.  Chloe picked up on this too and when they would announce the Ryans as they came up to hit, she’d get excited: “another Ryan, another Ryan!!’  A not-so-exciting event from the game tonight is that Chloe chipped her front top tooth :(  There were concrete ledges that we were sitting on, none of them very high, and she and Abby were walking along them.  Chloe sat down to slide off the ledge, no more then maybe two feet high, and she slipped a little.  She bit her tongue and for awhile I thought that was all.  She stopped crying pretty quickly and continued the rest of the night just fine.  But when I was bushing her teeth, she got all upset saying that it hurt and that’s when we saw the chip in the tooth.  Hopefully the tooth itself will be okay, but I guess I’ll be calling the dentist in the morning to see if we need an appt for next week.  Poor baby!! 
After the game, we drove about thirty or forty minutes to return to the same hotel.  It’s been nice staying two consecutive nights most every place and not having to pack up each morning.  And we’re closer to Rick and Cheryl’s for tomorrow morning.  It rained on us most of the car ride back tonight, but we’ve been blessed with good weather during the days.  A free carwash without interrupting any of our plans, perfect!  Ryan blogged on my phone on the drive back while the girls both slept.  It’s a little weird that my seven year old uses my phone to blog while we drive, but I guess that’s the way of the world these days!  Just last summer, he was journaling our trips with pencil and paper.  I loved seeing the drawings he would do, especially of the Erie Canal Locks.  But I also love that he blogs and that the blogs can be shared and saved and printed into blog books someday. 

Alrighty, I think that sums up our fun day on Cape Cod.  Between all that and a run on the treadmill and now blogging, I’m ready for bed!!  Weekapaug tomorrow!  This trip is going too fast!  I can’t believe we only have two real days left before we start travelling south.  So grateful for the good times and the memories we’re making! 

No comments: