Thursday, February 27, 2020

Carnival Elation! February Break 2020


Friday 2.14.2020 – Abby’s final basketball game of the season, so we didn’t leave until Saturday morning

Saturday 2.15 – Driving day!  Last minute packing [although the kids and I had done a lot on Friday] and showering and whatnot.  Left a few mins after 10.  Lunch at a Chick-fil-a somewhere south of Atlanta.  Easy drive, no traffic trouble, made it to Grandma and Grandpa’s in Land O Lakes by 5:30 or so.  Yummy meatloaf dinner and the NBA three point and slam dunk contests on in the background.

Sunday – in LOL – big breakfast, running, golf-carting, biking for Ryan, etc.  Cleaned up and headed to Tampa to see Laura and family [grandma and grandpa had plans].  Lots of fun playing with cousins and Aunt Lolly made a really yummy lamb gyro dinner followed by fried oreos!  Nice visiting with them!

Monday morning – we left from LOL for the east coast!  I-4 traffic is never fun, esp near Disney, but we made it.  I braided the girls’ hair while Coleson drove.  We ate lunch at Subway in Cape Canaveral, followed by a few minutes at Manatee Park on the river.  Love the east coast – felt like home :) water, palm trees, beautiful weather.  Then it was time to head to the boat!!!  We parked and had a great view of the ship out the parking garage.  It was easier than I thought to get everyone on board [birth certificates for the kids and I, but easy peasy].  And apparently since we booked a suite, we’re VIPs, so we got to go in the short line.  We got to our awesome room at 1:30.  Carnival is probably a little lower on the totem pole, if you know what I mean, but we were able to get our junior suite with a balcony for less then an interior on other cruise lines.  And our room was worth it!  We explored the boat and stood up top to watch our departure from Port Canaveral.  All you can eat ice cream!!  Putt putt.  We dressed up for dinner in the dining room.  It was open seating, but we requested Rico every time, he was great.  We came back to our room to our first towel animal – a duck.  Our room stewardess was Nia and she was wonderful and I was amazed that she always remembered our names [well, except for the more-often-then-not mix up for Abby and Chloe, but hey we all do it from time to time, hehe]

Tuesday – 2.18 – fun day at sea.  Yummy breakfast – all you can eat everything was fun.  We went to a Dr Seuss parade, but it was only so-so, so we broke away from that.  The kids put on bathing suits, and they did a couple of the smaller slides.  Ryan and Abby made it about halfway up the spiral staircase for the tall one before turning around.  They love water slides [Great Wolf Lodge three months ago!], but they said it was crazy windy.  And cold.  We didn’t last long before cleaning up and putting on dry clothes.  80* is great until you are trying to swim in an unheated pool with insanely high winds!  We walked the boat some more, ventured into gift shops, rode the glass elevators, ate food.  This was the only evening we didn’t eat in the dining room – it was formal night and that just didn’t happen for us.  Packing those types of clothes and accessories for five people to wear one night just didn’t seem worth it.  We ate pizza instead!  And Coleson and I took turns in the fitness center.  I was really bummed there wasn’t a running track around the top of the boat, and we were all bummed there was no basketball court.  We watched two PG rated comedians – well Coleson and Chloe only watched the first one before she went back for bed. 

Wednesday – the Dominican Republic!  This was nice because we didn’t arrive until 11am, so we were able to leisurely get up and eat breakfast and watch our arrival from the top decks.  The Dominican Republic is beautiful!!!!  So gorgeous as we arrived – mountains and tropical rainforest and pretty beaches and even those new fancy windmills that make you think you are in Oklahoma.  The mountains do apparently make frequent rain showers and we experienced one as we ran off the boat.  But it didn’t last more than maybe ten mins.  We went straight to our Monkey Land tour.  Our guides were great, everyone we came across was really nice.  Monkey Land was amazing.  Poor Abby worked herself up and was pretty scared of the monkeys, but the rest of us loved every minute of it.  There were about thirty of us in our group and we sat along a bench inside the monkey park.  The guides gave us fruit dishes for the monkeys to come eat out of.  And then they put sunflower seeds [a yummy treat!] on our shoulders, in our hair, etc.  So the little squirrel monkeys were jumping all over us and from person-to-person.  I’ll give Abby that it was a bit overwhelming, but I loved it.  There are maybe two dozen monkeys and if I remember correctly eight more babies.  The babies were the best – they’d hang on their mommys’ backs.  One was even sleeping the whole time that Momma was jumping around.  It was such a cool experience, and yes, we even got pooped on.  Despite not liking the living monkeys, Abby got a stuffed monkey souvenir that she proudly and lovingly wore around her neck the rest of the trip :)  She named him Cocoa after the cocoa beans that they grow in the Dominican, and we also realized later that it doubled for our port/ Mommy’s hometown- Cocoa Beach!  Great name, Abs!  

After the monkeys, the second part of the excursion was some sort of taste of the Dominican thing.  Almost like a living museum, complete with a staged house and outdoors area.  It was a little odd, and I’ll confess, a little boring.  But we got to sample quite a few things including coconut water, sugar cane, Dominican coffee, and some sort of mamajama alcoholic thing that tasted a little like wine and a little like cough syrup and I never really decided if I actually liked it or not.  The ride back to the port was so beautiful.  I did enjoy that we at least got to see a little of the countryside and the cities, even if it was from our huge, charted, air-conditioned bus.  Everywhere we went, I felt catered to, and I didn’t enjoy that feeling, I wish that somehow we could have truly experienced more of the countries we visited, instead of feeling like an awkward rich white American the whole time.  But it was all good and the monkeys were cute and it was safe and kid friendly and all that stuff.  The ports are these fenced-in touristy traps, but we explored our Amber Cover port for a bit after the bus returned us.  Some pictures and souvenirs and a few minutes at the fun little waterpark area.  The kids rode some great slides, and I got my hair braided.  then back on the boat.  A new cute towel animal and we dressed up for dinner in the dining room with Rico.  Abby and Chloe ate a lot of chicken nuggets and spaghetti, but Coleson and Ryan and I did a pretty good job of being adventurous.  Coleson had steak, pork chops, that sort of thing a couple of times.  Ryan ordered off the adult menu- ribs, lasagna, etc.  I had fish twice.  And Coleson and I both had the special port of call meals a couple of times – local yummy food, usually chicken, rice, beans.  And appetizers and desserts of course. 

Wednesday is still going – after dinner we went to the Hasbro Game Show show.  Super proud of our brave and confident Ryan!  The announcer said he would be picking contestants that did something unique and caught his attention.  Ryan jumped up and started doing the floss [a dance that’s all the rage with the cool kids].  He was the first one picked!  He participated in a connect four basketball game.  Unfortunately his team lost, but it was so much fun to watch him and I think he really enjoyed it, he said he wasn’t nervous or scared at all to be up on stage like that.  I wish I had pulled out the phone in time to video his floss, but I did get everything else on video, love it.  [and I loved that my phone was nothing more than a camera the whole trip.  That and the Carnival app.  Nothing else worked, the phone was on airplane mode the whole time]. 

Thursday, 2.20 – Turks and Caicos – this was an earlier port time [maybe 8:30?], so we watched the arrival from our balcony room, ate a quick breakfast, and ran out to meet our snorkeling excursion group.  Lots of sunscreen and then we boarded a small boat with three guides and maybe 25-30 of us.  We rode out about ten minutes before our first snorkeling stop.  Abby may not have liked monkeys, and Chloe sure didn’t like snorkeling.  One tour guide in particular was awesome with her – his name tag said Happy although he always referred to himself as Handsome Happy.  And he was great with the kiddos that weren’t doing so great.  Chloe had a thin little life vest thing [we all did] as well as a pool noodle and clung to Happy’s life ring thing.  Poor thing wouldn’t even try to put her head in.  Abby LOVED it!  Ryan took a couple of minutes, but he got the hang of it and was really enjoying it.  We snorkeled around for about half an hour I think, before climbing back on the boat and riding a couple of minutes to a second spot where we snorkeled for another half an hour probably.  This time we made Chloe come stay with us instead of Happy, and we took turns keeping one hand on her pool noodle while snorkeling.  It was fun – but it sure is different snorkeling as a parent.  This was one of those times when I felt like three kids definitely outnumbers two parents.  I was counting to three a lot :)  Abby’s bright red shorts helped a lot.  It was nice that both our snorkeling boat and the Monkeyland bus the day before had beverages – I was worried ahead of time that I’d be thirsty, but there was lots of good water everywhere we were.  And usually coffee and juices too.  On our way back to the port, we saw dolphins.  Extra cool since Chloe had recently informed us that she now loves dolphins.  One of her Turks and Caicos souvenirs is a dolphin keychain for her back pack.  Once we were returned to shore, we walked for a few minutes and Chloe played in the pool area.  We got back on the boat to change into dry clothes and eat some lunch, before returning to shore for some walking and shopping.  And a Starbucks coffee for me.  A new sting ray towel animal, Daddy flying the kiddos down the stairs, a full rainbow over the port as we pulled away – perfect view of it from our balcony, more ice cream, putt putt, wine on the balcony at sunset, “sunset heart hands!!”  We dressed up again for the dining room and even went to several of the photo spots on the boat for photo shoots.  This was fun, at least for Mommy, and in the end we bought two awesome pictures.  I don’t think we saw any shows this night – probably just hgtv, hehe!!  It was definitely nice having a bigger room.  We could regroup and rest in there.  The kids played hide and seek quite a few times.  Watched hgtv.  Coleson and I would read on the balcony.  I actually finished a whole book! 

Friday – fun day at sea  - Green Eggs and Ham breakfast for the girls and I!  This was an extra, but totally worth it.  And I actually ordered the green eggs and ham, and they were really, really good.  And oh the coffee.  So much better than the free stuff that’s readily available at the drink stations.  Good coffee, I had a lot of it :)  Thing One and Thing Two were there, and then Sam-I-Am and the Cat in The Hat.  Abby was funny – the eggs are just food coloring.  And Thing One and Thing Two are really leaving because the people have to change into Sam and the Cat.  Based on the two other groups that we shared a table with, I think this meal is all for my generation!!  The four of us that were parent-aged seemed to really enjoy it.  The kids were fine, but I think a little bored, and I even overheard the other girl say the same thing Abby did about it was all just food coloring.  And the grandma in the other party couldn’t have cared less.  Interesting to me.  I remember thinking the same thing at Disney a few years ago – I think they cater to our generation [probably because we’re the ones paying!].  I love that Disney has so many rides and experiences based on the movies of the 90s – Aladdin, Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast.  Anyways, shocker I know, but I digress.  Back to the boat!  Daddy and Ryan ate breakfast and went to a paper-airplane making event while we were at breakfast.  A heart shaped towel.  Puzzles – we would pick up the daily crossword and sudoku and those were fun to work on.  Ryan took a ton of pictures on my phone.  More hgtv.  Another run on the treadmill for me – this time it was daylight so I could watch the waves.  Coleson took the kids to the putt putt area, but it was so windy they had brought the supplies inside and actually made them leave shortly after they go there.  We dressed up for dinner again, and Coleson and I splurged on real drinks this evening – a margarita for him and Bahama Mama for me.  They were really good.  Alcohol and Cokes were extra.  Oh and there were two violinists who played in the atrium lobby every evening.  They were really good, very upbeat, electric.  We thought it was quite humorous that they were playing the “near, far, wherever you are” theme song from Titanic as we left the dining room this evening.  Really, who plays that song on a cruise ship?!!  We went to the PG comedians again this evening.  Chloe promptly curled up in my lap and was asleep before the first one even started, so that was nice and we stayed for both shows [until almost 10?].  It was the same two guys as a few nights before.  We all really enjoyed the Cowboy Comedian.  He was funny and down to earth [maybe because he’s a southern redneck and more relatable to us?!] and best of all he had new material.  The other one, Dennis Gaines, repeated his show from the night before.  Seems odd to me that you only do two PG shows the whole week to pretty much the same audience and you do the same show.  He had some funny stuff, but we also thought he was pretty condescending.  Oh well.  And then we hit the waves!  Oh my goodness.  Somehow Chloe, who wakes up for everything at home, slept through it all.  We were rocking and rolling.  Nobody threw up or anything, thankfully, but it was awful.  Coleson looked it up later – the waves were 16-20 feet high that night!  And we were about an hour and a half late getting to Port Canaveral the next morning because we had to slow down so much to compensate.  And it was windy!  It took us awhile to fall asleep and then none of us [except Chloe] slept well.  I was so happy to be back on solid land the next morning.

Saturday, 2.22 – Port Canaveral.  We arrived quite a bit later than expected because of the waves the night before.  We ate breakfast on the Lido Deck again, and of course all the buzz was the waves.  We packed up and eventually headed off.  Again, it was great being a suite/vip – we got to leave early, woohoo.  Once happily back to our car, we were free!  We went to Ron Jon’s first and spent a pretty penny there.  I love Ron Jon’s – even though I don’t have a lot of memories, it’s my hometown!  And speaking of hometown, after Ron Jon’s and some real coffee at a Dunkin’ Donuts, we drove by our Covina St house.  It looked surprisingly good.  I was brought home to that house and lived there until I was five.  I’d love to see our Palm Bay house again sometime soon too, but it was about 45 mins away in the wrong directions, and we just didn’t have it in us by then.  We started the journey across the state, stopping at a service plaza in the middle of the turnpike for just a little food/lunch.  Waaayyy too much to eat all week on the boat!  And oddly enough, the boat itself never really bothered us, so I don’t know if was the storm or just a normal adjusting to land again, but boy or boy were we dizzy and rocking.  Everything was swaying.  We made it back to Maya and Grandma and Grandpa at maybe 3:30.  Almost immediately, the girls were taking out braids and then long, hot showers with lots of conditioner!  Coleson and I walked dogs, running was out of the question anyways for me and my sea legs.  Laura and the family came over, and the cousins played and played and we ate a yummy dinner of burgers and baked beans.  My throat really started to hurt bad as the evening went on.  And then Chloe ended up in our bed in the middle of the night crying about her throat too.  So that really worried me since we both had the same symptoms!  Fortunately, Chloe claims to have been totally fine once she woke up and hasn’t had any more issues.  My throat got better, but now several days later, I am losing my voice and I cough occasionally and this morning I woke up congested.  Hopefully it’ll pass quickly!    

Sunday – Coleson and Mom walked the dogs, Grandpa made breakfast, we packed up, I made sandwiches, etc, before we hit the road about 9:15.  Bringing lunches worked really well – they could eat when they were ready and it saved time and money and all that jazz.  We finally stopped at Carroll’s for the first time and got three different types of sausages.  Gas, bathroom, coffee, nothing too major, and we were home about 5:15 or so.  And let me tell you – leaving sunny and 80* and returning to dreary and 40s was NOT fun.  Driving across Gaddis and that dead golf course was just ugly :) I had hoped a few signs of spring would have appeared while we were gone, but nope.  I love our community and our schools and the sports and the kids’ friends, but man oh man, sometimes [mostly in January and February] I wish could just run away to a tropical island.  And thus coming back from one was extra hard!  But it’s all good, we love it here!  We unpacked, and I did a million and one loads of laundry, and we ate pizza and frozen veggies for dinner – no milk or anything fresh in the house after over a week.  A decent bedtime Sunday night!!  And back to reality Monday morning, not a lot of recovery time.  But what a great getaway!!  I loved it and I have zero regrets.  I’m not jumping up and down at the idea of another cruise again soon, but I wouldn’t rule it out either.  It was great to be together and try new things and pet monkeys.  And not having to worry about cooking or cleaning up afterwards was AMAZING.  I think I’d like to try an all-inclusive beach resort type of thing with the kids sometime; that might be fun and maybe provide a little relief from the rocking and the confines of the boat. 

"Y'all stay awesome, party people!" - how Cruise Director Alex would end all of his announcements

No comments: