This past weekend we took a trip up to Cullowhee, NC to visit Western Carolina. I went to school there for a year, but haven't been back since. It was a fun walk down memory lane. We started the day at my old favorite spot - a beautiful picnic on the river. After we ate, we wandered around and I even got Ryan to wade through the water with me! Then we drove through Sylvia & Dillsboro. We walked around a little and ate ice cream at the general store, yumm.
Then it was time to check out the campus. We drove by my old dorm, bought a few souvenirs at the bookstore, and then watched the Pride of the Mountains marching band warming up. If you like marching bands, you've got to figure out how to see one of their shows one day, amazing! It was Ryan & Abby's first football game of any sort and they did okay. Fortunately it's a very laid back atmosphere without the typical college crowds; we're certainly not ready for Athens anytime soon! In fact, Abby and then Ryan befriended the lady sitting in front of us and she basically babysat them the first half. She was great with them and seemed to truly enjoy hanging out with them. And then it was halftime. I always knew that the band was a big hit there, but I guess I didn't realize how much. As soon as they lined up to march on, people were on their feet and clapping. It was crazy! The band really truly is the highlight of the evening. The did their usual contemporary funky show; this year it's called Club Swagger and features music from the likes of Usher & Lady Gaga. Humm, could you ever see the Redcoats doing that?! I loved both WCU and UGA's bands, they are just so completely different! Ryan and Abby really got into the show too. Ryan moved into the aisle so he could see better and Abby was dancing. So much fun. After that, we (along with a whole lot of other people) made our way out. After a quick dinner at Subway, we headed for home. What a fun day! In fact when we asked Ryan what he liked best, he said something along the lines of: "I like Everything we did today!" At another time, he said he liked " the picnic, going into town, and the football game." Two things about that: 1. the "going into town" was hilarious; he'd fit right in. 2. If you're a parent you probably realize how rare it is for them to like what you plan! It's usually some small, obscure detail that they love. I think we did well today!
2 comments:
sounds like a blast! quite a trip that you got into one day!
Post a Comment